Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Health kick strikes again!

Honestly, with shades outside the window ranging from grey to taupe I'm craving some color in my life, perfectly embodied in a 5 minute fruit salad I've been devouring recently. Plus, it has some serious Valentines Day benefits (not that I care this year... but you might, right? Right.)


All you need is:
1 orange
1 banana
1 kiwi
1 tsp honey
1-2 tbsp nuts: I prefer walnuts or almonds for this one

Cut fruit into not-so-neat pieces and mix with honey and nuts. Eat right away before someone else sneaks into the kitchen to snatch it.

Oh, and for the obvious health benefits... Did you know that banana has substances that stimulate serotonin secretion to boost your mood whereas honey contains bohrium, an element which enhances your sex drive? Better get yourself some of this salad before Sunday!

If you're on a diet, I found some great recipes for low calorie salad dressings here. Lemon Poppy Seed and Creamy Italian are right up my alley!

What's your favorite food for this dreary winter weather? xxx

6 comments:

  1. this looks SO GOOD! I'm writing down the fruits so that I can make sure I have this when I get home tonight! I love a little bit of honey poured on..anything! And the nuts probably add some nice texture.

    Thanks so much for posting this!

    Foods this winter have consisted of different soups--they're so comforting to me, and while the weather is cold they go down so easy. But this will be a great change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you certainly inspired this post with your tweets about food! The salad is really tasty plus it curbs some of my other, less healthy cravings...

    I love soups for winter too, especially the creamier ones. I like butter squash cream soup with some curry and those red nachos sprinkled on top, it's amazing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy
    I love to cook myself but this week I was eating outside my home most of the times. And not all the times it was a healthy food.
    x
    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's difficult to eat something delish and healthy at most restaurants! But... well, we all have our little eating sins, don't we? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm sorry..i know those tweets are over the top. but that's literally what i'm ALWAYS doing. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'm just always curious what are the dishes you're having, you're expanding my culinary horizons ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete