Tuesday, April 26, 2011

3 Neutral Lipsticks for Pale Skins

I've already done the blushes, now it's time for lipsticks! If your skin is pale like mine, you're probably not a fan of true nude lips; by taking the pigment out of your pout, they just make it blend into one with the skin, washing you out and giving the dreaded 'dead' look. That's why I don't do true nude lips - there, I've said it. There's still a couple of these shades lurking around in my drawers, but by now I do my best to avoid them when shopping.

Instead, I've turned to the quest for that perfect neutral lipstick - you know, the kind that goes well with every eye look and can be just smeared on without a mirror. Here's my little selection:

(L-R) e.l.f. Mineral Lipstick in Rosy Raisin, Maybelline Color Sensational in Caramel Kiss, Bourjois Docteur Glamour in Brun o p'tits soins

(L-R) Bourjois Docteur Glamour in Brun o p'tits soins, Maybelline Color Sensational in Caramel Kiss, e.l.f. Mineral Lipstick in Rosy Raisin

Bourjois Docteur Glamour in Brun o p'tits soins is a lovely warm brown with a touch of orange, no shimmer. It has a soft creamy consistency, possibly thanks to the addition of mango butter, and isn't drying on the lips. The warm tones make it most suitable for those with yellow undertones, however it's still wearable against my pinkish skin. My mum got this for me in Paris a long time ago, and I'd been wearing it a lot the first years of university.


Maybelline Color Sensational in Caramel Kiss (how could you resist such a name?) is more of a brownish mauve with fine golden shimmer. It glides on the lips easily, wears comfortably and evenly throughout the day. All Color Sensational lipsticks have this particular coconutty smell, which I actually enjoy a lot, but that's something you might want to bear in mind before purchashing. This shade is best suited for those with pink undertones like me, but again wearable across different complexions as well.


e.l.f. Mineral Lipstick in Rosy Raisin is a brownish neutral pink with no shimmer. The texture of the lipstick is somewhat harder and more waxy than the other two, and the color looks the most subtle out of the three on my lips - kind of like a balm. That said, it goes well with absolutely everything and therefore is a staple. You can see a daylight swatch on my lips here.


Last but not least, some arm swatches side by side:

(L-R) Bourjois Docteur Glamour in Brun o p'tits soins, Maybelline Color Sensational in Caramel Kiss, e.l.f. Mineral Lipstick in Rosy Raisin

If I had to choose just one, I'd probably go for the Maybelline 'Caramel Kiss' lippie - it suits my undertones the best and never, and I mean never, washes me out. The subtle shimmer looks amazing on its own as well as under a gloss. It's just lovely!

What is your go-to neutral lipstick?

8 comments:

  1. I really love the orange tones in the Bourjois!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks for this, I'm always struggling to find the perfect lipstick to suit my super pale skin. Rosy Raisin looks gorgeous! Thanks again! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Larie: It's gorgeous on warmer skins - kind of a lipstick that my mum usually goes for with her lovely complexion!

    @GABY: I think it's worth the investment for $5! Plus, it's all natural :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all look great on you! I personally don't like nude that much but I like the several peachy ones from Revlon, super lustrous gloss in Nude Lustre, Colorburst lipstick in Blush and their beyond natural lip tint in Rosy (discontinued).

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Citrine: I'll have a look at their shades, I really like Revlon lip products - that Colorburst shade sounds very tempting. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the name of that Maybelline one too! The one lipstick I can think of, that I can throw on without using a mirror (and do so often), is MAC's Hug Me. Each person's nude lip is so different..shows the range in a 'natural' colored lip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Bourjois is totally up my alley! I like nude shades with a little shimmer to them, so I love MAC's Plastique.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Caramel Kiss looks amazing on your skin tone, it gives it a warm & healthy glow.:D

    ***** Marie *****
    allthingsmarie.com

    ReplyDelete