Monday, January 30, 2012

Make-up Haul: The Best Things Come in Twos

I've been doing a little bit of damage recently; nothing major, but shopping in Poland over Christmas and some minor drugstore purchases have managed to accumulate enough for me to post a small make-up haul - just to make up for that recent empties post, right?

Setting up those multi-product photoshoots is always a lot of fun - I like to play with colors, shapes and textures (that short sentence should come with a warning 'confessions of a beauty blogging nerd').

First up, I picked up two of Sephora's Nano Eyeliner pencils in 'Azur Blue' (no.16) and 'Nuage' (no.14) for $5 each - a review with swatches is coming up very soon.

Then, a long while ago (in October!), I purchased these two Sleek Make-up Mineral Eyeshadow palettes in 'Au Naturel' and 'Oh So Special' from a Polish online beauty retailer Alledrogeria.pl and had them shipped to my parents' address; I had no problems whatsoever with my order and can safely recommend it if any of my Polish readers are looking for a good source of Sleek products.

I was also craving another nude blush, and after successfully resisting Tarte's Exposed, I settled on NYX Powder Blusher in 'Raisin'; but buying just one on eBay is so not effective cost-wise that I had to get another one, 'Spice'. So, by paying more, I actually saved more - a typical case of female logic, my husband would undoubtedly say. Again, photos and swatches of my entire collection of NYX Powder Blushers coming soon.

Obviously, I could not ignore the hype any longer and gave into Revlon Lip Butters; this is 'Peach Parfait' and 'Berry Smoothie'. I don't think I'll spam the blogosphere with another review, so my quick thoughts are that these are not moisturizing at all, but they have a nice shine, good selection of shades and are very wearable. If you manage to find a good deal on them and like the colors, you could definitely do much worse.

And lastly, two odd ones out: a Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum foundation in the shade Light Vanilla (no.51) and an Inglot Freedom System eyeshadow no. 467 Double Sparkle; fortunately, not overly shimmery/glittery at all. I was impressed with my make-up restraint in Poland - I got some cute clothes and accessories (would you like to see my favorite purchases?), but in the make-up department, nothing really caught my eye. I think I might be maxxed out when it comes to Inglot shadows now.

There you have it! Overall, I'm starting to feel a bit saturated with make-up shopping for a while (says she after getting a few more things in the last week...). I think I'd maybe like to focus more on clothing/ accessories for some time; so many things in my make-up collection are not getting enough love while I sport the same outfits over and over. What are your thoughts on make-up hauling? Are you lusting after the Spring releases or are you done for a while?

14 comments:

  1. Yes, I would like to see clothing and accessories :P

    That Inglot pan looks like my favorite sort of peachy nude. Pretty! And female logic is the best :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely understand why buying more would end up saving more but the men, they just don't listen! We'd inevitably end up buying another blush anyway so why not just buy it now when it's a better deal to?

    The Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum foundation has been on my mind a lot lately so I made an order on ASOS for the non-serum version. I've read that they're very similar but I think I'll eventually pick up the serum version as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Lisa Eldridge recommended the non-serum for more oily skin types, but obviously I didn't listen :)

      Delete
  3. I've been loving the Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum foundation lately!

    Can't wait to see swatches of the NYX blushers! They look lovely in the pan :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Haul! The inglot palettes look awesome. How do you like the Bourjois Healthy Serum foundation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the application and finish a lot, but 1) the coverage is pretty minimal, 2) it doesn't last well on oily skin. I still use it a lot though!

      Delete
  5. I actually made a similar resolution earlier this year, since I over-hauled toward the end of 2011 (mine is more about saving up the money on my jade collection, which I can actually sell/earn money if I don't like them any more. ) but so far it has been a ginormous FAIL. Now I am almost reaching my 2nd CVS beauty club reward...

    On the bright side, I did manage to get some cute shoes and sweater/coat at Marshalls (just not sure how long can I wear it before the temperature rises back to 70s again).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at Marshalls last week but only managed to find some cute storage boxes ;( I'd love to see your finds!

      Delete
  6. Nice!! I love your haul! That Bourjois foundation is awesome, but I have dry skin. I took it with me to Europe and wore it there. Best drugstore foundation ever for me.
    I keep looking at all the Spring stuff and usually I hate Spring makeup. But it's all so pretty this year! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a post filled with Good Things (channeling martha stewart here :) The sleek palettes look divine, and NYX raisin has been a want of mine forever. I wish they stocked that color at Ulta. I like how you've picked peach parfait and berry smoothie. They're definitely the more natural lip colors of the bunch. I wore berry smoothie today as a matter of fact :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Raisin a lot, I'm just editing the cheek swatches! Berry Smoothie is definitely my kind of 'MLBB' shade, the perfect everyday pink :)

      Delete
  8. Jeepers, you just reminded me I have that Oh So Special palette and I don't think I have ever even swatched it! I think that's a sign I have too many things...

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice buys, I'm currently craving a new blush (and a vipera lipgloss. or two) :)
    I used to love Healthy Mix so I've recently picked up the serum version and have two major problems with it. first the color palette, 51 just seems too cool for my skin tone and 52 is definitely too dark and yellowish for winter (it was probably the same with the classic version though). but my God does it underline all the dry bits, even the ones I didn't know existed. I'd be wearing it much more often if it weren't for that..

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a delightful yet carefully measured haul. :) Love the look of the Sleek palettes, and I'll be picking up a few Revlon lip butters myself once the lippie ban lifts. The end is nowhere in sight, lol!

    ReplyDelete