Friday, November 1, 2013

For the Love of Taupe: Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes in Lavish Lilac

Time to 'fess up: not only do I fall very easily for every shade of taupe in sight (well, you know that!), but I've also become obsessed with cream eye shadow crayons. Because it's versatile, it's quick, it's easy... and so, so pretty. So it comes as a no surprise that I've recently fallen in love with Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes in Lavish Lilac ($17 for 0.10 oz/3 g), and I have an unnecessarily detailed review and shade comparison to show for it.
There's not much to say about the packaging apart from the fact that I really like Clinique's etheral floral boxes, and that the cap has a very nifty feature that I've just noticed; there's a little sponge glued on the inside so that the tip of your Chubby Stick doesn't smush if you accidentally forget to wind it all the way down. Pretty handy, right?

Now, onto performance - I will say this is not as amazing as my beloved Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks, but still very, very nice. It has a thinner but smooooth consistency, and thus sheerer pigmentation that's easily buildable. The lasting power is above average (6 hours on my quite oily lids) but not as apocalypse-proof as the Caviar Sticks, which don't entirely surrender even when rubbed with soapy water. You can absolutely extend the wear of the Chubby Sticks by layering an eyeshadow primer underneath, and/or a powder eyeshadow on top.

 The shade Lavish Lilac isn't in fact very lilacy - it's a medium rosey brown laced with exquisitely fine lilac, pink and silver shimmer. The shimmer makes it appear a bit more cool, purple-toned than other similar shades in my collection. Next to Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in Grey Pearl, it's definitely less yellow and more mauvey, and when swatched next to a true lilac like Graftobian Luster Creme in Orchid Odyssey, you can see it's definitely a brown neutral shade as opposed to a violet. The arm swatch photo above was taken in natural daylight.
Compared to some purple taupe powder eyeshadows, swatched clockwise starting with the Clinique Chubby Stick in Lavish Lilac: Inglot Pearl no. 420 is more violet grey and less multidimensional, Wet'n'Wild eyelid shade from The Silent Treatment trio is similar, slightly cooler and again, a bit flatter, Barry M Dazzle Dust in Mushroom (pressed into this tiny pan by yours truly) is incrementally rosier and has a different, silver microglitter finish, and lastly Inglot Pearl no. 153 is slightly warmer and altogether different, strongly foiled/metallic texture. Swatched under a mix of cool daylight and warm studio lighting. For more taupe eyeshadow swatches from my collection, click here.
On my cool-toned skin, Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes in Lavish Lilac appears a lot more purpley; this is two layers of the shadow, finished off with some inner corner highlight and a thin line of Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On pencil in Rockstar, a warm brown aubergine. I'm wearing NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil in New Lover (reviewed and swatched here), nail polish is Essie's No More Film from the previous post.

Overall, I enjoy playing with my new taupey Clinique acquisition and layering it under different powder eyeshadows to give them more dimension and lasting power. I've already got my cheeky mitts on another shade (shush!), this time on the complete other end of the color spectrum; but that's a subject for a different post altogether. Have you tried Clinique's Chubby Stick Shadow Tints for Eyes? What is your favorite taupe cream eyeshadow?

12 comments:

  1. It's a lovely shade, but I agree that it's not as lilac as I thought - although great for a sheer subtle look as a nice change from all the chocolate and berry shades :o). Xx

    http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte, yes, it's definitely a nice change to the warmer eyeshadow shades we're seeing this autumn :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Monika, I've tried a couple of these, but maybe I ended up with the bad ones! That's why I'm not big on the formula, and probably won't try any anytime soon. I do really like the shade on you though! I have Grey Pearl and it's probably the shadow stick that I use the most often. It pulls much more mauve on my warm skin tone, but it works well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how these can be a bit disappointing - the pigmentation is rather sheer and they don't last amazingly well; but I think the level of pigmenation was probably intended as Clinique make-up tends to be a bit more subtle. Hahah, Grey Pearl looks almost warm on my cool skin, that's so interesting!

      Delete
  3. I adore it, it's so smooth and silky and easy to apply. And I love the color and how it looks on the lid. it' my #1 for daily nude-ish makeup

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Fuller Fudge and Bountiful Beige. I figured they're all on the sheer side, and I prefer more pigmentation like those of Laura Mercier and Bobbi Brown. I agree these are still nice, but I probably won't buy more >_< That said, this lilac looks so sweet on you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I haven't tried the Bobbi Brown ones yet! I think it's good to have a bit of variety - different brands come out with slightly different shades and there wasn't anything purpley taupe in the Laura Mercier that wasn't too dark when I browsed theirs :) Thank you Lily!

      Delete
  5. This is the shade that I've had my eye on, but I think I may just buy more Caviar sticks instead, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THe LM Caviar sticks don't last on me at all. :( they crease in like one hour and I was so sad. I think they're too creamy for me. I have Bountiful Beige and it lasts all day for me. I think the thinner and stiffer consistency works better on my super oily lids. You look gorgeous Monika!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The finish and shade are absolutely perfect on you! Gorgeous color, just probably not for me. I've discovered that out of all of the eyeshadow colors, taupe and browns look the worst on me LOL. Figures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love chubby sticks. They are so silky on my lips and sinks in really well. Plus they are perfect purse size :) x
    Heroine In Heels

    ReplyDelete