Thursday, May 22, 2014

Chanel Summer 2014: Illusion d'Ombre in New Moon no.97

Here's my other cheeky purchase from Chanel Summer 2014 collection: the limited edition Illusion d'Ombre Long Wear Luminous Eyeshadow in New Moon no. 97 ($36 for 0.14 oz/ 4g). While I ogled Chanel cream shadows in the past and admired the shades, I wasn't eager to purchase after hearing they tend to crease on oily eyelids, which I regrettably have. But... I couldn't say no to New Moon. Just look at it!
Chanel Illusion d'Ombre shadows come packaged in a hefty glass pot with a screw-on lid, and a nifty little brush for applying on the go; although the shape of the brush suggests it may be better for lining the eyes rather than packing on color. While the design of the packaging doesn't make me very assured as to the shelf life of the product, it sure does look pretty on my vanity.
If you've never had the chance to play with the Illusion d'Ombres, they have an interesting, slightly moussey/bouncy texture when pressed. The cream itself isn't actually overly creamy; it feels a bit dry to the touch and reminds me more of the L'Oreal Infallible eyeshadow formula than a typical cream eyeshadow like the Benefit Creaseless Creams. This results in some difficulty when trying to pick up product with a brush; I find that fingers work best for packing on the shade. In terms of longevity on the eyes, other reviewers were right: it creases in a couple hours when used on bare lids, but stays put without any issues over eye primer (NARS Pro Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base).
What I couldn't resist, however, was the shade New Moon itself (How excited are those non-French speaking beauty fanatics for a shade name they can actually pronounce? Emerville... Emervelle... Emerveille... Oh for God's sake!). New Moon is a warm, rosey brown with a touch of burgundy somewhat akin to shades like Urban Decay Toasted or Too Faced Push Up, and some amazing, complex microglitter - I spy with my little eye some fuschia pink, lime green and gold. The actual warm brown base becomes more diffused when blended out on the eye, and the glitters really shine through, giving an almost wet/glistening appearance.
My favorite part of this shadow, which I would usually call a glittery mess and call it quits, is the fact that the multicolor glitters really stay put and don't migrate all over my face (I'm looking at you, Urban Decay Sidecar and Too Faced Nude Beach!). This allows me not only to avoid looking like a five year old at a birthday party, but also to place the Illusion d'Ombre exactly where I need it, and/or use it as an accent for textural variety.
Here's another simple (or, you know, boring) look showcasing New Moon all over the eyelid, blended slightly out, and smudged along the lower lashline. As you can see, this shade doesn't have very opaque coverage, so that some of my pinky purple eyelid veining peeks through (but it's in the same color family as the shadow! Whatevs.). I used Urban Decay 24/7 pencil liner in Whiskey for some definition at the lash line, and finished with two coats of black mascara. I was slightly bored of the usual summer bright peaches and pinks, so I opted for a wine red shade on the lips (Wet n Wild 522A with Osmia Luster for extra shine). Base is Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum mixed with YSL Le Teint Touche Eclat, Stila Convertible Color in Lillium on the cheeks.
In one sentence, I love my Illusion d'Ombre in New Moon and have nothing remotely like it in my collection (hence no comparison swatches - well that, and I got too excited and forgot). Definitely check it out if you've had enough of 'boring neutrals' but need something easy to wear on the eyes. Do you own any Chanel Illusion d'Ombre eyeshadows? What are your favorite shades?

21 comments:

  1. LOL at Émerveille! I can definitely imagine how hard that word is to say! :D Chanel's Illusion d'Ombre are simply amazing, I have Fatal and Diapason, both wear like iron. I have nothing that comes close to New Moon so it could difinitely be a go for me. Love it on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helene! Oh yes, Diapason is extra special, I really want that one now too (this could be a dangerous and expensive habit right here)...

      Delete
  2. I love these little guys -- I have Mirifique, Epatant, and Emerveille (I AGREE) and they're so pretty. There's a purple-y one, whose name escapes me, that I have my beady little eye on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, oh Emerveille! I have my eye on Diapason and it has some purple tones to it, is that the one you're looking into as well? It's super pretty!

      Delete
  3. Hey Monika, while I have real doubts about this shade working for my skin tone, it's gorgeous on you! This is not a boring neutral for me at all! Glad to hear the larger micro-glitter actually stays put! Nothing annoys me more than finding that on my cheeks ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sunny :D It seems to work on Sabrina from The Beauty Look Book, but swatches much more purpley plum on her than it does on me - I guess my cool skintone brings out the warmth in this more. But yes, I was super happy to avoid glittery cheeks!

      Delete
  4. Ahhh! I love how you captured the beautiful colored glitter on your eyes in that closeup photo! I have a max capacity of one Chanel Id'Os in my stash because of the worries about drying out. So I currently only have Diapason, but also have such a want for New Moon. It looks incredible on you, Monika!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, then we are Illusion d'Ombre twinsies, because I really want Diapason! Thank you, dear Belly <3

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful color! I don't own any Chanel product...haven't brought myself to buying because they are SO expensive! I'm willing to buy foundation for an expensive price... but not eyeshadow
    <3 Pauline, ­­Addicted to Makeup

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually hate these, LOL. I can't get them to stay at all, and I don't normally have a problem. I also can't get it to blend well over primer, so I gave up and chucked one... *shifty eyes*. It's gorgeous on you, though, and I LOVE the color. Damn. Will need to find something similar that will satiate the desire for that beautiful sparkly rose gold copper thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh noes - that's a shame! I find that this one at least blends reasonably well over the NARS primer. Maybe some sparkles from Fyrinnae would work? Hmm, I actually haven't ordered from them in a while...

      Delete
  7. boring? not at all Monica! I like your looks. New Moon looks really pretty on your complexion. I like the look you did, you seem to have nice blending skills as well. I also like this last picture of you, a nice angle. uhmm, I haven't counted my Illusion d'ombres ... but a lot I guess, lol. I like that they won't dry out my eyelids. / Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! Ha, this is my standard blog selfie angle - works well to show the products on the eyes. I haven't ever noticed any eye product drying out my lids, but I guess I have really oily lids! It's good to know though :)

      Delete
    2. lucky you! I have dry skin and my eyes are quite sensitive. the maybelline color tattoos for example dry my lids out, I have to work on my blog selfie angle, I look weird no matter which angle I choose, lol

      Delete
  8. How pretty! The shimmer is exquisite and the color is so flattering on you.
    I only have one Illusion D'Ombre (second-handed Myrifique from Liz). Although I find it not the easiest to apply, but the shimmer and the texture are something else. I really love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, I love New Moon on you, yep, not boring at all! My fave IdO so far is Emery-ville (like the city in California-- just to irk you HA HA).. seriously, I think they should print it as "émerveillé " with the accent aigu -- but I don't know if this will help or making it more confused :-D.
    O.k back to New Moon, I'll have to try this in person to see if it is too warm for me. Sometimes, something coppery can inspire the rabbit-eye look on my face. Thanks for sharing the review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I own a few... but Abstraction is my fave so far... it might be replaced by New Moon if I decide to splurge :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how shimmers transfer :) and the shade looks gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah gorgeous! I have Illusoire and Ebloui and both are beautiful. I need an eye primer though, or they'd crease.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are indeed beautiful and this colour is lovely! I've decided to part ways with them for time being. The paler shades make great swipe and go options but I don't love eye shadows that much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG!!! This is so pretty. I super like the color and the shimmery effect. I am so excited to try this out.

    ReplyDelete